Today I was looking back at a post I wrote about two months ago. See it here. WEG was seeming closer and closer back in December; now it feels like it’s breathing down my neck. I can’t be the only procrastinator out there who hasn’t firmed up her travel/housing plans for the show of all shows this fall, can I? Ummmm, maybe.
Another official email from WEG organizers announcing LAST CALL to reserve media housing flipped my panic switch yesterday. Prices are up and availability is low, even though we’re still eight months out!!! You must reserve a room NOW unless you prefer to sleep in the street! And I’d done nothing to prepare for WEG other than write that last post.
Which brought me to important realization list number 2:
- At least I’ve got the competition dates figured out. Spending fourteen days at WEG from the beginning of dressage to the end of jumping is about as realistic as telling my “real” job I’ll be in KY for two weeks watching horses prance around. Luckily, the dressage freestyle (Oct 1) and the show jumping final (Oct 9) are nine days apart, which is doable. And eventing falls right in between.
- Doable that is, with laptop and cell phone glued to my side 24/7. Thank goodness for the Internet and working remotely. Assuring my employers on the West Coast that I’ll be constantly available never fails.
- But the real source of panic was housing. The very cheapest hotel would run me over $1,000 for nine days! As a writer, I try to avoid numbers in any form, especially when they add up to money I spend. And as a writer, there ain’t no way I can throw down 1k in hotel costs.
- I might not know a lot of people in Lexington, but it turns out that I do know the right people. After spending a couple hours tearing my hair out at the hotel costs, I reached out to a great local trainer I know. When I asked for housing advice, his answer was ‘you can stay at my farm.’ Those were million dollar (actually $1,000) words!!!!! Hallelujah!!!
- So with housing solved, it’s time to move on to airfare. No, I haven’t looked into it yet. Maybe next week. . .